Saturday, December 1, 2007

Fellowship versus Fradition

Library 2.0. Well, I'm wondering where I've been! Busy serving library customers, while out there all this is happening. 2.0 will require major change in libraries and it appears not to be optional. Children will always want to go to story time, it may be computer generated and accessed at home via the library website. However, I am comforted by the fact that people will always want to hold a book and turn the crisp clean pages, (they will, won't they, Um).
2.0 is revolutionary and libraries are going to have many challenges in the future. Just the budget alone, books versus software. Considering what Jasper's been up to the past weeks, withdrawing books in copious quantities. Some in mint condition having only been borrowed once or twice, then sitting on the shelf for the past 10 years. Software purchasing is looking rather appealing right now! (it ain't heavy ). A mindset shift from many library traditions will have to take place. I think it is very exciting to consider this greater communication that is possible and the sharing of resources that will take place between organizations, libraries and borrowers in the future. I just hope I can get my crawl to a walk before then.

1 comment:

L.I.S.T. said...

2.0 maybe revolutionary and technology is quietly creeping into to our lives but don't forget it can not happen with out human imvolment and still need to write/read a book to to make things work